Do you ever play the “If only…” game? For example, “If only I had more time during the week, I would finally take that that bread baking class I’ve been heard so many good things about” or “If only I had more money, I would build new planter boxes and a greenhouse for the garden.”
We may not have the resources to make these ideas a reality right now, but that shouldn’t stop us from daydreaming or planning for the future. Play with these three journaling prompts and let your imagination loose without limitations.
1. If I didn’t have to worry about money, I would…
Take out your personal journal, set a timer for five minutes and brainstorm all the fun and fantastic things you would do if you had a blank check. Focus on the activities, possessions and experiences that you would find most fulfilling, exciting or rewarding. For example:
• Buy fresh flowers for the house every day
• Get a passport and book my first international trip
• Sign up for a fiction writing workshop
2. If I didn’t have to worry about time, I would…
What would you do with all that free time you have been craving? How would you spend your leisure time if a few extra hours opened up each day? Repeat the same journaling process you did in the first prompt. For example:
• Throw away my alarm clock and wake up naturally each morning
• Read a book a week
• Play music with my friends regularly
3. If I didn’t have to worry about other people, I would…
You may love your family, your friends and your work, but sometimes you probably imagine what your life would be like if you were free to do whatever you wanted, without worrying about other priorities. What would you do if you suddenly had a period of time free from obligations or commitments? Tell your personal journal about it. For example:
• Go on a week-long hiking and camping trip
• Quit my job and start my own business
• Take daily naps
Share one of your responses in the comments!
Looking for more journal writing prompts? Find more than 200 ideas to beat writer’s block.
And we even have more Free Journal Writing Prompts ebooks!