Hoping to improve your writing this summer? Coupon Chief created a huge list of free online writing courses that will help you boost your written communications skills, whether you’re focused on business and technical writing or creative writing.
Keep reading for a snapshot of the courses, then check out the infographic below for even more great writing resources!
Courses for New Writers
From new writers to nonnative english speakers, these courses, offered by universities like Berkeley, Duke University, and Arizona State University, will help you improve your fundamental writing skills.
- English Composition, offered by Arizona State University
- English Composition: Research and Writing, offered by Arizona State University
- Getting Started with Essay Writing, offered by the University of California, Irvine
- How to Write an Essay, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- English Composition, offered by Duke University
- Effective Writing, offered by the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorke
- Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study, offered by the University of Reading
Courses for Creative Writing and Journalism
Whether you’re an aspiring poet or the next great novel writer, these creative writing courses will improve your ability to craft something amazing.
Poetry classes are offered by prestigious universities like Yale University, Manchester Metropolitan University, and the University of Pennsylvania.
- Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop, offered by the California Institute of the Arts
- Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”), offered by the University of Pennsylvania
- Modern Poetry, offered by Yale University
- How to Make a Poem, offered by Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Essentials of Poetry Writing –– Creative Writing Now
Learn to write the next bestelling novel with these classes, offered by universities in British Columbia and more.
- Start Writing Fiction, offered by The Open University
- Novel Writing 101, offered by Reedsy
- How to Write a Novel: Structure and Outline, offered by the University of British Columbia
- How to Write a Novel: Writing the Draft, offered by the University of British Columbia
Planning on a career in journalism? These courses are offered by major universities like Berkeley, the University of Pennsylvania, and more.
- Journalism for Social Change, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- Writing for Social Justice, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- English for Journalists (Part 1), offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- English for Journalists (Part 2), offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- Storytelling for Social Change, offered by the University of Michigan
- English for Journalism, offered by the University of Pennsylvania
- Activism and Citizen Journalism through Media, offered by Wits University
- Digital Culture and Writing, offered by the University of Burgundy
Courses for Grant Writing
If you’re hoping to take on grant writing as a side hustle or main source of income, it’s important to know the details of the job. Use these courses to supplement your skills –– they come free, courtesy of the University of Michigan, Grantspace, and more.
- Introduction to Proposal Writing, offered by Grantspace by Candid
- Introduction to Finding Grants, offered by Grantspace by Candid
- Writing a Successful Grant Proposal, offered by Minnesota Council on Foundations
- Grant Writing and Crowdfunding for Public Libraries, offered by the University of Michigan
Courses for Technical Writing
Whether you’re in engineering or medicine, having a solid grasp of technical writing principles is key. Check out these courses, offered by places like Stanford University, MIT, and even the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
- Technical Report Writing for Engineers, offered by the University of Sheffield
- Writing in the Sciences, offered by Stanford University
- How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper, offered by École Polytechnique
- Communicating With Data, offered by MIT OpenCourseWare
- Technical Writing, offered by the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
- Discovering Science: Science Writing, offered by the University of Leeds
- Requirements Writing, offered by the University of New South Wales
- Writing Skills for Health Care Providers, offered by Concordia University, Wisconsin
- Communicating in Technical Organizations, offered by MIT OpenCourseWare
- Writing Case Studies: Science of Delivery, offered by Princeton University
- Science Writing for the Public, offered by MIT OpenCourseWare
- Writing Skills for Engineering Leaders, offered by Rice University
Courses for Business Writing
Business writing is a very important aspect of career success, especially for professionals in marketing, accounting, management, and other business-related fields. These courses, offered by programs at Berkeley, the Rochester Institute of Technology, MIT, and more, will help you improve your business writing abilities.
- Writing Winning Resumes and Cover Letters, offered by the University of Maryland
- How to Write a Resume, offered by State University of New York
- How to Succeed at: Writing Applications, offered by the University of Sheffield
- Academic and Business Writing, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- Effective Business Writing, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- The Writing Process, offered by the University of California, Berkeley
- High-Impact Business Writing, offered by the University of California, Irvine
- Writing Professional Email and Memos, offered by the University System of Georgia
- Storytelling in the Workplace, offered by Rochester Institute of Technology
- Business Writing, offered by the University of Colorado, Boulder
- Advanced Communication for Leaders, offered by MIT OpenCourseWare
- Better Business Writing in English, offered by Georgia Tech
- Write Professional Emails in English, offered by Georgia Tech
Helpful Writing Tools and Apps
If online classes aren’t your thing, an app or interactive website may suit your needs. Check out these great tools to find the one that’s right for you.
For journaling, MindNote and Momento help you organize your thoughts, keep track of inspiration, and show your progress over time.
For creative writing, 750Words and ZenPen encourage daily writing practice through timed prompts and relaxing writing interfaces.
For general writing, Grammarly is a great tool for spell-checking and basic grammar rules. You can also use the Hemingway app or website to help you streamline your writing to be more concise.
Finally, you can use tools like Google Analytics, Hubspot’s Topic Generator, and the Pocket tool to monitor, maintain, and improve your blogging or writing presence online.
Whether you’re a brand new writer or have years of experience, there’s always room to improve. Use these free online classes and tools to help you boost your skills and be a better writer.
Author bio: Marielle Stroud writes for Coupon Chief on topics related to budgeting and lifestyle. In her free time, she's exploring new coffee shops and taco trucks in Austin, Texas.
NOW ON SALE!